Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tess Marshall's Words of Wisdom

Today Tess Marshall's newsletter was titled "Be Fearless in Bad Situations".  She went on to describe a disintegrating, irritating social situation she was stuck in and she held to her word.

 
"It's not always easy to be authentic or to take a stand. It's tempting in those
situations to smile, nod, or join in the conversation.
I can't do it. I won't do it.  I won't detach from my truth."

This struck me.  The deliberateness in her tone and her last words, "I won't detach from my truth."
How easy it is to slide into political correctness, don't ruffle any feathers, be polite.  Why should being polite mean NOT BEING REAL OR TRUTHFUL. 
No, she is spot-on!  Today I will try not to allow myself to sacrifice my authenticity in order to be polite.  Why do I feel someone else's authenticity is acceptable, even if I find them offensive, while I must override my instinct to speak my mind and be instead, polite?
Thank you Tess, for awakening me to the importance of my truth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment